Let's cheat the whole Prego Sauce making part and use probably the best premade Prego Sauce I have ever tasted!
Time to Prepare: 1 Hour
2-3 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Fabrica do Prego Prego Sauce
4 x Portuguese Rolls (Got mine at Checkers, not too shabby!)
Pinch of salt & black pepper
A glass of wine (For yourself)
You will need:
Oven @ 180 C
Bowl to Marinade in
Large Roasting Pan
Cling Wrap or Wax Paper
- Cut the chicken breasts in half. This will reduce cooking time and most importantly, increase your area for the marinade and sauce to do its work!
- On a stable surface, preferably a wooden chopping board, cover both sides of your cut breast with cling wrap or wax paper. Then proceed to flatten out the breast with your mallet* until you have increased its area by at least 1/3.
- In a bowl or pan, add your flattened chicken and pour over about 200ml Fabrica do Prego Sauce. The amount you use is up to you.
- Work the chicken with a spatula or your hands(Use rubber gloves for food safety) and make sure all the chicken gets coated with the sauce.
- Cover your bowl/pan and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes** for the sauce to do its thing.
- Turn on your oven to 180 Degrees Celsius.
- Prepare your Large Baking Pan with Spray and Cook and remove your chicken from the fridge.
- Transfer your chicken breasts and sauce into the baking pan, making sure to get all your remaining sauce out of your marinade bowl/pan…cannot let that gold go to waste***.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper over your chicken.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 25-35 minutes at 180 degrees, or until your chicken is cooked throughout.
- Whilst the chicken is in the oven, cut your Portuguese Rolls in half and toast them in a non-stick pan until browned. This will help keep your bun intact with all that magical Prego Sauce.
- Once the chicken is ready, either remove it from the baking pan and set aside OR set your oven to grill and brown your chicken uncovered until your preference, set aside. Leave the sauce in the baking pan.
- Place your baking pan directly on the stove at medium-high heat until the sauce starts to sizzle and thicken a little bit.
- (Optional): Add some white wine to the pan if you want to deglaze any burnt bitts (Everyone knows that is where the flavour is)
- Take your halved Portuguese Rolls and give them a quick dip (cut side down) in the pan with the sauce and then set them ready for plating.
- Plate your Roll and Prego Chicken like a hamburger. You could add anything you feel might compliment your Prego Roll. I added some baby greens for a nice extra crunch and a little bit of coriander for freshness.
- Finish off your Prego with any leftover sauce!
- Serve with fries or baby potatoes and some Fabrica do Prego Garlic Aioli as a dip (Trust me, you will want this on everything after your first taste).
*If you do not own a mallet, use an empty wine bottle or wooden rolling pin. Anything you feel might exert just enough force to flatten out your chicken.
** Tip: You can prepare your chicken and marinade up to 24 hours in advanced.
***If there ever was a moment to lick your fingers, this is NOT it!!!
Let me know in the comments below what you think, might do differently or even how you feel I screwed this classic up :D
Products used available on our store:
Prego Sauce from Fabrica do Prego 375ml @ R75
Garlic Aioli from Fabrica do Prego 450ml @ R69